Model Based Facilities Management
When over 85% of the lifecycle cost of a facility happens after the design and construction, the cost to operate and maintain the project greatly exceeds the construction cost.
You’ve already paid for the design and construction BIM. Now we can help to add the needed intelligence, in a format required to integrate with the facility’s FM system,
that will maximize value for decades by saving 20% or more of the yearly maintenance labor costs.
Typical Facility Life Cycle Management Costs for Healthcare Facilities
Chart by the Healthcare BIM Consortium
Enhancing Operating Through Model Based FM
|The Current State of Building Information Handling
||Issues with the Current System
Does this Room Look Familiar?
Where do you find the most recent information about your building?
Hundreds of Thousands to Millions of dollars are spent annually searching through rooms like this to find information to keep a building operating.
- Mountains of paper documents delivered at the end of the project
- 12 to 18 month delay in transferring information to the FM program at a cost of $150,000 or more
- Information is not available to maintenance personnel during the delay period
- Data investigation for maintenance issues can take many hours even before starting repairs
- Too much reliance is placed on the institutional knowledge of the workforce. Loss of personnel to promotions, retirement, or transfers equals a
loss of accumulated operational data
- Ability to quickly respond to emergencies is affected
- Operating data for equipment is not available to field crews
- Multiple entry of data required as information moves through the system
- Current facility information is not available for designers on future remodel and
addition projects resulting in inaccurate documents, construction delays and change orders
A Model Based FM system can place all of the structural, piping, equipment, and electrical information for a facility onto a tablet PC that the
facilities maintenance and operations personnel can have with them in the field. This real-time access to detailed, up to date information that is
presented in a portable, 3D visual format can greatly aid in the efficiency of daily operations by markedly reducing the need to search through mountains
of paper documents. Also, the ability to graphically present the live operating data of each piece of equipment or systems on the same screen with the 3D
model can enable your personnel to adopt a pro-active maintenance process.
Aspenhills Consulting can work with your construction team to:
The Value of a BIM Based FM Solution
- Data required for the operation of the FM system is Identified and collected during the design and construction phase
- Data is formatted to COBie standards
- BIM based FM system is operational at end of construction
- Investigation period for maintenance issues is reduced from hours to minutes
- Complete facilities information is available to field crews while on site through the use of tablet PC’s
- Eliminates the need for multiple data entry for work Orders
- Detailed, visual displays of each system with related valves, controls, and equipment are available on the tablet
- Provides the ability to quickly locate valves and switches in an emergency
- Work orders can be created and updated while in the field
- Model data can be easily updated to keep system information current for all personnel
- Live performance data for each piece of equipment can be included on the laptop display
The Future Enhanced Facility Management through Integrated BIM Based Systems
- Identify information needed for maintenance and operations at the facility
- Create a data capture plan utilizing COBie standards
- Oversee and verify the process
- Facilitate system start-up
- Train facilities teams in operation of the BIM enabled system
- Ongoing model updates to keep the system current